Organic Farming Startup

startup
challenges
organicfarming
agriculture
channelmanager

Problem context in brief:

Since the implementation of the Green Revolution, modern industrial farming has become increasingly unsustainable economically for the small and marginal farmers. There is a 400-700% price mark-up on produce from farmer to the consumer. Supply chains are fragmented with 5-7 intermediaries, who add very little value and sometimes up to 40% of produce is wasted before reaching the consumer due to various inefficiencies in supply chain.

Bottom Line:

Planning between producers, buyers, and consumers is non-existent. Due to lack of planning skills, poor extension services, and lack of market demand and supply data, the producers (farmers) are not able to cultivate and time crops that maximize profits.

• Agriculture is no longer an economically viable activity because of extraordinarily high input costs, and several studies have shown that farmers incomes have remain frozen or even declined in the past 20 years.

• What farmers need is more marketing outlets and better marketing facilities. The hunt for a buyer is the most tiring part of being a farmer.

Proposed train of thought that attacks these problems (i.e. Startup idea):

Among 172 countries that actively practice organic agriculture globally. At present, the India is home to more than 6,50,000 organic producers, 699 processors, 669 exporters, and 7,20,000 hectare under cultivation. However, with only a meager 0.4% of total agricultural land area designated for organic cultivation, it is evident that this industry still has a long way to go in terms of growth.

For now, it can be safely concluded that the organic farming industry in India holds immense potential to grow, provided it receives steady investment, and benefits from both existing and new initiatives, which can further its growth.

• Creates channels of sound coordination and planning between various stakeholders (i.e. producers, buyers, and consumers) through Technology and adhering to ethical operating protocols.

• Creates direct marketing channels between farmer and seller to bypass unnecessary intermediaries.

• Ensure proper remuneration to farmers for their produce at all times.

• Find key stakeholders and partners who can help us scale up and help more small marginal farmers out of the deadly cycle of debt and eventually suicide.

• To ensure efficient and streamlined supply chains to reduce wastage of produce to the minimum.

• An organization that markets, promotes and sells wholly “Organic” produce nationally and subsequently internationally.

• Being able to put the word “organic” on a food product is a valuable marketing advantage in today’s consumer market and commands a price premium particularly in markets of US and European Union.

• To do constant capacity building and knowledge up-gradation to achieve sustainable results.

To-do:

Contact me by PM if you are interested to pursue such an idea to it’s execution.

If anybody else has similar ideas or is thinking along on the same lines, I could even consider joining their venture.

The following is the portfolio of Organic products in India:

I am in initial stage for a collaboration with a US partner and we are trying Organic farming in a very small scale via Green Technology , how do you think we can extend this idea to India initial investment is about US100 K for prototype and if we go mass cost can be reduced by 50% .
Do advise if you have investors to initiate in India .

Hey Kunal,

I really like the idea you are working on as the price mark-up really affects the below line people and even the middle class at times. What execution are you looking for this process? Is it a startup product you are looking for? If yes, I can be of help to you. You can visit our website at www.ignitesol.com Let me know if you’d like to take this further.

Would love to meet and hear more. Pl email me on akshanshkhoslaâ– gmail.com

nice coverage. Get correct certification for product is the task here. Most of the dept does not have protocol for it. Getting organic seed also not common here.

I am having organic dairy farm (for raw milk production) at Ahmedabad and planning to expand very bigger way.

Currently we are selling to local households. Everyday 400 ltr we are selling. Orders are pending as we are not having enough supply.

Currently phase-1 expansion is going on.

We have Rs. 60 lac turnover per year and planning to tripple by 2017 end.

keep in touch with dadajidairyfarmâ– gmail.com

bye.

Dipak Patel
CEO/Founder
Dadaji Dairy Farm

Hi,

I have investors for good agriculture and allied businesses based technology/start-ups. Available investment is about $10-$15 million. i.e Rs.70-100 crores for various projects.

Please PM and I’ll send my email address. I dont think its legal to post email id here.

Cheers,
Aditya

Hii…i plan to make organic poultry farm…i used only country chicks …